We are really excited to bring you another workshop on Teaching Yoga to Seniors. Liz Williams is a leading trainer in the area of Yoga and Seniors. She has been working in the health sector for over 40 years and as a health educator for over 17 years, Liz has Masters of Clinical Science in Aged Care and Healthy Ageing, Graduate Certificate in Mental Health (Aged Care). Liz has worked with many health practitioners in assessing, and developing health plans to support the older person to remain independent for as long as possible. Her relevant areas of speciality include anatomy and physiology, orthogeriatics, rehabilitation, fall prevention, mental health (aged care), acute adult pain and pathophysiology.
You will learn:
• The Primary ageing changes and the effects on the body
• Common Secondary ageing changes and how to support an older person experiencing them
• The neuroscience of ageing and how this effects emotions and attitude
• How to modify a yoga practice to minimise harm for the older student
• The benefits a yoga practice provides to increase acceptance of the ageing process
• The main physiological changes that occur due to ageing and
• The effects these changes have on the body
• About osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, heart failure, emphysema/COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), falls and sarcopenia.
• About the psychological changes that occur with ageing
Which pranayama and meditation practices are beneficial and
• How to include these practices in your classes
• Precautions and recommendations for a safe and effective yoga program so that the older person can remain as active as possible
Who Should Attend?
• Yoga therapists, yoga teachers and yoga teacher trainees
• Medical doctors, health professionals and complementary therapists who want to use evidence-based, Yoga practices in their work
Benefits of attending the Learn to teach Yoga to Seniors workshop:
• Learn from Liz Williams, leading yoga for seniors educator and healthy aging specialist
• Learn practical tools and techniques that you can apply immediately with your students and clients
• Educate yourself about the safest and most effective way to teach Yoga to your older students
• Connect with a network of yoga teachers and therapists working in this field
• Deepen your knowledge of Yoga as a therapeutic practice
• Yoga teachers are eligible for 14 Continuing Professional Development points
This workshop will only be offered once in 2019 in Sydney.
Click here to find out more.